Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Victory In New England Day

Sunday. A day that NFL fans salivate at the mere thought of. The titanic clashes of long-time rivals on the gridiron usually start those rabid fans rattling off numbers and statistics concerning number of sacks or yards per carry that no one else gives a rip about.
As a young lady born in the hills of western Pennsylvania, some of my earliest memories of my father involved the two of us sitting on the couch as he explained the details of a fly pattern, a free safety blitz, or why the Steelers were always so predictable in 3rd down situations. In short, I'm a Steelers fan, born and bred. I'm from the type of town that has Terrible Towels on their front doors and Hines Ward jerseys in every self-respecting Wal-Mart. I grew up learning about and loving every second of talk about trades, injuries, and chances of Super Bowl victory that particular season. So for me to grow up and fall in love with a New Englander was a little strange to me at first.
Moving here to Connecticut, I discovered that the occasional baseball cap with the Steelers logo on it was just that...occasional, and not the norm. What was all this nonsense about Tom Brady anyhow? Doesn't anybody care about Ben Roethlisberger's stats? I found that most of the people I ran into in the store weren't even aware that Pittsburgh was the proud owner of 5 Super Bowl rings!
That is why Sunday, November 30th, was a day of rejoicing, victory, and just a little bit of gloating. My beloved Steelers ran roughshod over the hapless Patriots and proved their worth in the Massachusetts stadium full of bad weather. I may have been the only person in all of New England who was excited about the 5 (count them, 5!!!!) turnovers made by the Pats in the second half alone. Oh, it was indeed a beautiful thing to behold. Except that I didn't behold all of it, because I was at church during most of the second half. :) Listening to the radio announcer here in Connecticut, you would have thought his favorite dog died. He announced the embarrassing score of 33-10 with much chagrin. Interceptions by Timmons and Polamalu, a strong steel curtain defense, and a multi weaponed offense were all too much for the luckless Patriots to handle.
Ah yes...a beautiful thing, this victory in New England. When shall we have the privilege of viewing it again?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! Good job, Daughter!

Valued & Vulnerable said...

I am impressed with your verbiage and diction, but highly disappointed in the content! Just remember there are 3 Pats fans in your youth group that live in this house...i would hate to see something happen to you in the middle of the night at winter camp :)

Anonymous said...

Beth,
This was great!
I am still laughing :).....
Go Steelers!
Love,
Mrs. Worobey

Blanchette Family said...

Wow you sound so excited it almost makes me want to watch football...

New York City

New York City
Please ignore the grafitti behind us...